You can easily add your Google Analytics tracking code to any of your typeforms, in order to track visitor behavior and demographics.
The steps to follow are:
- On your Google Analytics home page, select the account you want to integrate your typeform with and copy the property ID behind the name/URL of that account. It takes the form UA-XXXXX-Y or UA-XXXXX-YY.
- Log in to your Typeform account, open up the typeform you want to track and go to the Analyze panel.
- In the Google Analytics section paste your code and click the button Add to typeform.
- Open your typeform a couple of times, answer your questions if you feel like it.
- Open your Google Analytics account where you are tracking the typeform.
- Go to the BEHAVIOR panel, open Site Content section and click on All Pages.
- Get your typeform’s URL and copy its ID. It’s the last string of characters in the URL, after the last “/”, and should be something similar to xxXxXX.
- Use the typeform ID in the search tool of the All Pages report.
Please also note that embedded typeforms with the same tracking code as their hosting webpage will be counted twice (one count for both the form and the website for each visit will appear in your Google Analytics metrics under two different URLs).
If you use Hidden Fields in your typeform, the ID is the string between the last “/” and the “?” character.
On every submit of your typeforms we are also sending a Google Analytics event with the following parameters:
- Category for your typeform’s UID,
- Action for “TypeformSubmit” and
- Label for the name of your typeform.
You can find all the typeform submits in Google Analytics in the Behavior > Events > Top events report.
To see how to use this event to set up Goals (for easier use in other reports, like conversion tracking), please refer to this Google Analytics help article.
Each time your respondent answers a question, we trigger a Google Analytics event with the following parameters:
- Category for your typeform’s UID
- Action for “TypeformQuestionPassed”
- Label for the question title
You can find all your typeform’s “Questions Passed” events in Google Analytics under Behavior > Events > Top Events report. If you want to figure out where respondents drop off, click on “Unique Events” to see which question has the fewest answers. Take note: statement fields are not tracked!
This is a great way to track points where respondents drop off. Then you can revise your questions to try to improve your typeform’s completion rate. Remember these 4 steps to an awesome typeform!