A/B testing is a great way to test your ideas. Test two different surveys on a sample group of people, and see which gets the highest completion rates. Alternatively, A/B test your original survey alongside a new variation, to check if changes improve your results.
In this guide, we’ll show you how to set up a simple, randomized A/B test using a typeform. You can distribute it to a sample of people, and they will be randomly assigned either your A or B test.
This random A/B test works by offering respondents two apparently identical buttons to click, to start the survey. Each button links to a different survey, and the order of these buttons is random. As it works with a random button, it doesn’t guarantee an exact 50/50% split, but is close enough for most testing purposes. We have found it will give you a distribution of 50% +/- 3%.
Let’s get started.
- First, create the two surveys, or whatever else, you would like to A/B test. These will be linked to a third typeform, which will work as the randomizer. For this randomizing typeform you need to start with a Picture choice question then add two customized Thank You screens.
- Start a new typeform, and choose start from scratch. Drag over a Picture choice question, and then upload the same image to two choices. Label them differently, and make sure Labels are off in settings. Be sure to set this question as Required. The image has to be the same for both choices, so respondents don’t know which one they are choosing. (I have also added my own color scheme here using the Design Tab)
- Now set up two Thank You screens. One will link to survey A, and the other to survey B. Add the links to your surveys in the reload/redirect panel of each Thank You screen setup.
- Go back to your Picture choice, and setup Logic Jump. Hover over the question to see the Logic Jump arrow symbol and click it.
- Set up Logic Jump like this:
Your first Logic Jump will send respondents who click the image labelled Survey 1 to your custom Thank You screen 1. The next Logic Jump will send those who click the Survey 2 button to custom Thank You screen 2.
That’s all there is to it! Now you can distribute this typeform to whoever you want to start your A/B test.
How to analyze your test distribution:
If you check the Analyze tab, and click Reports, you can see how many respondents were sent to each survey.