When a question requires people to choose from a list of options, you need a Multiple Choice question. An essential part of quizzes, exams, tests, surveys and more, here’s how to use this useful and durable question in your typeforms.
Multiple Choices can also be used to create complex question types such as Likert Scale questions: to evaluate something according to any kind of set of criteria.
Here is an example from our Social Media Survey template (find it in our template gallery!):1. You can add one to your typeform by clicking on the Add your first question/Add new question button in the Create panel. This opens the questions menu, where you choose Multiple Choice by clicking it.
2. Now type your question, and hit Enter to add answers:
3. To go to the next question using your keyboard, hit Enter. This will open another choice, and when you hit Enter again, it will remove that empty choice and open a new question.
1. To open settings for your Multiple Choice question, click on the icon highlighted here:
2. You’ll find the standard question settings at the top, where you can change the question type, make it Required, add a description, and so on:
3. Below these, you have additional settings for your Multiple Choice question:
Multiple selectionIf you switch on the Multiple selection toggle, your respondents will be able to select more than one answer. You can choose to limit how many answers people can select:
Unlimited – respondents can pick as many answers as they want.
Exact number – you can define exactly how many choices a respondent can make. Eg, ‘Choose three of the following items.’
Range – give people the option of selecting between X and Y number of choices:
RandomizeYou can randomize the possible answers, so each time someone is filling in the form, the answers will appear in a different order.
Add “Other” option
Click this switch to add an Other answer option to your Multiple Choice question. This will mean there’s an extra field for people to write in another answer
Vertical alignmentIf you want to force the vertical alignment of the answers for a Multiple Choice question, click this switch.
How many choices can I add to a Multiple Choice question?
There’s no limit! You can add as many as you like, though your typeform will look better if you group answers in smaller groups.
How many characters can each choice have?
Note that each Multiple Choice option is limited to 255 characters. If you go over this limit, the text will cut off at the 255-character point in the public typeform.