Wouldn’t it be great if you could automate sending certificates on completion of an exam or quiz? Now you can by integrating your Typeform and WebMerge accounts via Zapier!
I’ll walk you through how to do it using the example typeform below: an English placement test. Try the form for yourself, and make sure you add your real email address to see how it works, and receive your certificate!
Configure your typeform
Here’s the structure of the above typeform (note that the Question groups are collapsed):
Make sure to add Calculator to your test questions to keep score of correct answers. We set the Calculator so it adds +1 to the Score variable when the correct answer is chosen (it does nothing if an incorrect answer is chosen).
Now, define the score ranges. We defined the ranges to match the following English levels:
English Level [score]
C2 [20- ]
Create the certificate
The next step is to create the certificate that will be automatically sent to the respondent.
You’ll first need a WebMerge account, then you’ll need to create a document.
Watch this video tutorial to learn how to create and configure a new document in WebMerge:
We opted for a PDF file as it’s a certificate and we don’t want it to be editable!
These are the merge tags we used in the document (which will be populated with information sent via Zapier) under the Document Builder tab:
Under the Deliver tab, we chose the email address the message will be sent from, and the email’s subject line and content:
Integrate and merge your data
Now that you have your document finalized, the last step is to set up the integration that will send data from the typeform to WebMerge.
This is how you can ensure that everyone will get a certificate based on their English level:
- Go to your Zapier account and click on the button MAKE A ZAP!
- Choose Typeform as a trigger app:
- Select Typeform Trigger: New Entry. Click on Save + Continue
- Select your Typeform account from the list of accounts.
- Choose the typeform you wish to use from your Typeform account:
- Test the typeform, and if the test is successful, click on the Continue button.
- Choose WebMerge as an Action App:
- Select “Create Document Merge” and click on Save + Continue
- Select your WebMerge account from the list of accounts.
- Select a document from the list of documents:
- All the Merge tags in your WebMerge document will be displayed. Here is where you can make magic: match fields from your typeform to each WebMerge field. This is how I matched them for my English placement test: I matched the typeform fields to the WebMerge fields, and manually typed in the level: A1. This will ensure that the fields in my WebMerge document will be auto-populated.
When done, click on Continue.
- Create a test by clicking on Create + Continue
- Now click on the + icon between the TRIGGER (New Entry) and the ACTION (Create Document Merge):
- And select Filter:
- You’ll see the following in the right-hand panel, click Save + Continue:
- A panel will be revealed where you can configure your filter. Remember the score ranges for each English level? I configured the fields to match the score range of the English level A1:
Score (Number) Less than 4 (= range of 0 to 3):
Click on Continue
- You can test your filter and finally, create your Zap!
Now, I have a Zap set up for English level A1. I need to set up further Zaps for the remaining levels. Here’s how you can do that:
- Go to your Zapier Dashboard and copy the Zap as many times as many outcomes of the exam are possible. This is necessary to create different content depending on the results. I have 6 versions, covering levels A1, A2, B1, B2, C1 and C2:
- Edit each of the Zaps:
- I manually changed the English level in the WebMerge field (Step 11) to reflect one of the levels: A1, A2, B1, B2, C1 and C2
- I adjusted the filter accordingly (as explained under Step 16) and set the following filters:
- A2 [4-7]:
- B1 [8-11]: etc.
Once everything is set up, share your typeform, sit back and relax! No need to manually create and email certificates any more 🙂
For more on creating quizzes, read our guide.