Grow your Mailchimp audience with Typeform
Mailchimp is a marketing automation platform designed to help small businesses. Integrate Typeform with Mailchimp to automatically send new leads, customers, and subscribers to your mailing lists.
Use this integration to:
- Add new subscribers to your email lists
- Update existing subscriber data
- Personalize your embedded Typeform in your MailChimp Survey
To use this integration, you need to:
1. Publish your typeform
2. If you’re creating new contacts, include an email question and set it to “required”
3. If you’re updating existing contacts, create a @email hidden field under the logic tab. Learn more about creating a hidden field to map to your Mailchimp email field here.
Here’s how to build a simple registration form that you can integrate with your Mailchimp account.
Setting up the integration
1. Open the typeform you want to connect, from your Workspace, then go to the Connect panel and click on Integrations. Search for 'mailchimp' in the search bar and click Connect:
2. Click Authenticate.
You'll be prompted to select a Mailchimp account that's already connected to your Typeform account, or log into your Mailchimp account if you haven't connected to any accounts yet.
If you add a new Mailchimp account or log into your first one, a window will pop up allowing you to enter your account details.
Note! You can associate multiple Mailchimp accounts with your Typeform account. Any account you have previously connected will be listed here. Each unique typeform can be integrated with one Mailchimp account: in other words you can’t integrate the same typeform with multiple Mailchimp accounts.
3. Click Allow to authorize Typeform.
4. Now you’re logged in, choose which Mailchimp audience you want to use with your typeform.
5. Next you should choose which Email question or email hidden field in your typeform will send data to Mailchimp.
To create new leads, require an email address to create a record
Contact records in Mailchimp will be created or updated only if a respondent provides an email.
To update existing MailChimp contact records, create an email hidden field.
If you just want to update existing contacts in your Mailchimp, you have to add a Hidden Field to your typeform and map that corresponding to an email address field in Mailchimp.
If you’re using the Contact Info question in your typeform, you can also map its Email field to the Email field in Mailchimp:
6. Now you can choose to connect any other question from your typeform to a field in your Mailchimp audience.
Note! You can connect any Typeform question to any Mailchimp text field (no other field types are compatible at the moment).
Click +, then select a typeform question from the left dropdown menu, and a corresponding Mailchimp field from the right dropdown. You can connect as many as you like.
Here you can see I’ve connected a few:
If you make a mistake, just click the x icon on the right of each connected field.
After mapping your typeform's questions to Mailchimp fields, you can hit Save to finish setting up the integration, or you can continue to more advanced options.
Next, you'll see the options to tag your responses:
7. If you’re using tags in Mailchimp to segment or filter your contacts, you can connect them to a Picture/Multiple Choice or Dropdown question or a quiz outcome.
First select one or both of the checkboxes:
Next, we’ll connect your question answers to tags. I have tags in Mailchimp set up by preferences. So I added a Multiple Choice question to my typeform asking leads what type of wine they prefer.
Connect these answers one at a time by first selecting the Tag responses in choice questions checkbox then mapping an answer from the left dropdown menu, and then selecting a tag from the right menu. Click + to keep connecting more.
Here are my answers, connected to corresponding tags:
If your typeform is a quiz, you can also choose the Add a single tag all your responses checkbox to map it to quiz outcomes or skip this step and save your integration:
For example, if a respondent subscribed to your newsletter, you can tag the quiz outcome (the End Screen people see based on their answers) as a new customer…
...or you can set a tag to be added for every typeform submission. For example, I could have a “Typeform” tag in Mailchimp, so every time I get a lead via this typeform, I’ll be able to filter out those contacts with ease. Find out more about Mailchimp's tags here.
8. Now you have an option to add a GDPR compliance question, if you need your respondents to be compliant with EU laws.
Your typeform must already have a Legal or a Yes/No question for this to work - if you don't already have one, you can go back to the Create panel to add one to your typeform.
9. Now choose the Legal question you want to use from the dropdown menu:
10. Next, you can select how contacts are managed in Mailchimp when someone chooses not to opt in to your Yes/No or Legal question. Use the radio buttons to either not create new contacts (or unsubscribe existing ones), or to create contacts with the “unsubscribed” tag in Mailchimp.
Once you hit Save, the integration is activated, and when people complete your typeform, the email and name data will appear in your Mailchimp audience automatically.
11. You can now see an integration switch in the Connect panel:
Click this switch to turn your integration off or on again, or click the three-dot menu for options to edit or delete the integration.
You can find out more about which Mailchimp fields are compatible with your typeform's question here.