Set up source tracking for HubSpot
You can collect tracking information to find out where your HubSpot contacts are coming from by following the instructions in this article.
This article shows you how to track information like First page seen, Last Page seen, Last referring site, Original source and Original source drill-down 1 and Original source drill-down 2 in HubSpot to show where your submissions are coming from, for example, from social media or direct traffic.
For a general introduction into tracking the source of your typeforms using Hidden Fields, check out this article.
You can configure source tracking for Typeform's HubSpot integration in two ways:
To start tracking the source of your typeforms, you must first enable source tracking. You can do this by simply toggling the source tracking switch when connecting your typeform to HubSpot:
Tips! To track embedded typeforms, you’ll need access to your website source files. Skip to track typeform embeds (advanced).
When setting up the integration, make sure to include an Email question in your typeform, and select the Yes, require an email address checkbox. Leads created without a valid email address might only include incomplete source tracking information.
Segment your audience by source on your HubSpot dashboard
Want to track the source of your leads? Once you set up the integration and enable source tracking, you’ll be able to do that in your HubSpot account.
By default HubSpot adds a tracking cookie to your typeform. So if you share your typeform on social media, that will be recorded in HubSpot.
1. Toggle the Enable source tracking switch when setting up the integration.
2. Open your HubSpot account, and click on Contacts.
3. Click Table actions, and Edit columns:
4. From this menu, make sure you add Original source and Original source drill-down 1.
5. Now you can see the source type in Original source, and the specific source in Original source drill-down 1:
In this case my latest contact came from Social Media, specifically Twitter.
If you're backfilling responses, you won't be able to segment those contacts by a specific source. All such contacts will be shown as created from Direct Traffic from Unknown URL:
Read on to learn about a more advanced method to track the source of your embedded typeforms.
Track the source of embedded typeforms (for advanced users)
Tracking the source of typeforms that are embedded onto websites requires using the Typeform Embed SDK—for this it's best to have some web development experience. You can also partner up with an agency to find a certified Typeform expert.
To start tracking embedded typeforms:
1. When connecting your typeform to HubSpot, toggle the Enable source tracking switch.
2. Add the following code to track the source of a typeform embedded on a website like Squarespace or WordPress. On your website, add your HubSpot tracking code by following the instructions here.
3. Go to the Share page to get your typeform's embed code. You can find out how to customize the embed code snippet you'll be adding to your website here.
4. Add the data-tf-hubspot property to the code snippet to enable the source tracking of this embedded typeform.
Below is an example of what your embed code will look like after adding the data-tf-hubspot property:
You’re now ready to start collecting tracking information about your embedded typeform! You can view your web analytics data under contact properties in HubSpot:
When you go to your typeform, you'll see the following Hidden Fields automatically created for you:
Note! Make sure not to delete these Hidden Fields because if you remove them, you'll no longer be able to track the source of your embedded typeforms.
Tips! If you want to personalize your typeform with HubSpot, you can find out how to do it here.