Want respondents to attach files to their answers? Then include a File Upload question in your typeform.
The File Upload question is a PRO feature that allows respondents to upload any file from their computer or mobile device, which you can then download via the Results panel.
The File Upload question supports all file types (with a maximum file size of 10MB). So, for example, you could ask your respondents to send you an MP3 file with their demo tape, a DOC file with their resume, or a photograph in JPEG format.
People can upload files from their mobile device. If they’re viewing the typeform on a phone or tablet they can either upload a photo from their library or snap a picture with the camera and upload it.
How to add a File Upload question to your typeform
1. Go to the Create panel and click on or drag the File Upload icon from the Questions menu.
2. Now enter your question text. In this case, we’re asking the person to upload their CV.
3. In Question settings you can make the File Upload “required” meaning that people would have to upload something in order to submit the typeform. To enable this, click on the Required switch.
4. Flicking the ‘Description’ switch lets you add a description underneath your File upload question. For example, you might want to add a sentence that explains the 10MB file restriction.
5. You can include variables in your File Upload question to personalize it a bit. Type the ‘@’ key on your keyboard then select which answer you’d like to insert into the question. In this example, we’re using the person’s first name.
6. If you’d like to allow people to upload multiple files to your typeform, add a Question Group from the Questions menu, then add separate File upload questions within this group, inserting text for each one
Check out the example typeform we created below to get a feel for how the File Upload question looks in practice:
You can find out more about creating Job Application forms here.
How to handle files bigger than 10MB
If the respondent needs to upload a file that’s larger than 10MB to your typeform, you can ask them to upload the file to a repository service – like Dropbox or Google Drive – and let them paste the link into a Website question. This will allow you to collect the links and download the files later on.
With Logic Jump you could go a stage further and:
- Ask your respondent the size of the file they are about to upload.
- Based on the answer they give, either direct them to a File Upload question where they can upload the file (if the answer is “under 10MB”) or to a Website question where they can paste the link to the file (as described above).
How to download your files
You can download the files that people have uploaded to your typeform via the Responses section of the Results panel. Click on the ‘Download all responses‘ button.
You can also download the files from Self notifications, adding more people in copy if you need others on your team to be able to download them, too. A link will be included in the email for the File Upload question. Click on the link to download the file.
How to make files downloadable in a typeform
We’ve explained what to do to allow respondents to upload files, but what if you want to let them download a file from a typeform? It’s possible to add a download link to your form in cases where you want to make documents or media files available to people.
Simply upload your file to a repository service such as Google Drive or Dropbox, then copy the link to this file and paste it into your typeform (in a Statement question, for example).