Respondent notifications allow you to automatically email someone when they answer your typeform.
This PRO feature sends a customized email message whenever someone submits a typeform. It’s one of two notification systems in Typeform. The other is Self notifications, which sends you an email upon completion of a typeform. Things you can do with Respondent notifications:
- Thank your respondents
- Confirm their order
- Display their results from your typeform
- Redirect your respondents somewhere else (web page, another typeform, etc.)
How to add Respondent notifications to your typeform
Adding Respondent notifications to a typeform is as easy as 1-2-3:
- Load your typeform and click the Notifications icon in the Create panel.
- Click the Respondent notifications tab.
- Now flick on the ‘Send a custom email to respondents‘ button.
How to create your customized email response
Once you’ve enabled Respondent notifications you’re invited to customize the email message you send out. Take a look at this overview of the full panel then we’ll break things down:
1. Specify which email address you would like the respondent notifications sent to. You can only send a notification to an answer to an email question or a Hidden Field, so make sure you include this question in your typeform.
2. You can enter a reply-to address if you’d like the respondent to be able to reply to the notifications you send them. You can enter multiple addresses if you want the reply to go to more than one person (bear in mind there is a 255-character limit in this field). Skipping this step will set the reply-to address as “email@example.com” which will mean recipients can’t reply directly to your mail.
3. Now enter a subject line for your email notification. Note that you can also use a variable from your typeform to personalize the subject line. Click on the ‘+’ icon or type ‘@’ then select which variable you want to add.
4. Write whatever you like in the Message section to customize the email that will go out to your respondents. Again, you can customize the text by piping in answers to certain questions or using Hidden Fields.
What will it look like in an email?
The screenshot below shows you what the respondent notification email will look like in your respondent’s inbox:
Schedule regular email reports
If you don’t want to send a notification every time your typeform is completed, you can turn off Respondent Notifications, and set up a scheduled report using Digest by Zapier. Read more about Digest by Zapier on our blog, and our complete instructions to setting it up for your typeforms.